We invest in profitable companies with strong niche positions within their industries. We are particularly interested in privately-owned companies in need of an ownership transition and divisions of larger companies that no longer fit their parent company's strategic direction.
XL manufactures premium quality, commercial and construction style trailers that combine safety, durability, value and innovation. The Company's highly specialized products primarily focus on serving heavy haul applications in the infrastructure, agricultural, utility, oil and gas, mining and alternative energy markets across North America.
- Location: Manchester, IA
- Investment: December 2007
- Seller(s)/Deal Dynamic: Generational transfer; Rockwood partnered with another private equity firm and the second generation of the founding family to recapitalize the business; founder retired while the second generation assumed operational control of the business
- Industries Served: Agriculture / Construction / Wind Energy / Oil and Gas / Commercial Transportation
- Outside Directors:
- Jerry Bauerly - Former President of Bauerly Brothers, Inc., now part of Knife River Corporation, a leading American aggregate producer, retired MN state legislator, speaker pro tempore, and majority leader
- Gregory Flint - Vice President of Operations and Strategy at Cold Spring Granite Company, a 110-year-old quarrier and manufacturer of natural stone products, with a bronze foundry and turnkey general contracting
- Art Monaghan - Co-founder of Granite Equity Partners, a Minnesota-based private equity firm
- Website: http://www.xlspecializedtrailer.com